Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

My son is 8 years old and diagnosed ADHD Inattentive. I have

Customer Question

My son is 8 years old and diagnosed ADHD Inattentive. I have tried every stimulant medication and am on my last one with him now. He has not done well on them at all. His neurologist now suggests the non stimulant ones i.e. Strattera. The thing is, my son only needs them to focus in school. If I give them to him on the weekends when he just has to play, he cries or just zones out because he has nothing to focus on. Strattera must be given 7 days a week. If the stimulant meds do not work, and the non stimulants must be 7 days a week, what do I do? Do you just pick the lesser of the two evils? My son is happy go lucky off the meds. On the meds, he has no personality and doesn't smile, laugh. He is on the mildest dose of them all. Could they%
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.

Hi! You know, to give you the best answer, I think I should ask you a few questions first that will help define the problem and the situation.

This sounds like a very difficult situation and I am not sure yet that I can be of help, but to know I would like you to finish your question if you would. It seems as though you were cut off in the middle. Is that true?

It seems that he has not yet tried Strattera. If so, you do not yet know how he will react with it. Is this correct?

Has he had any behavioral work with a psychologist?

Any extra information that will help, feel free to share.

Let's go forward from the answers to these questions.

I'm going to be going into session with therapy clients soon, so if I can't answer before that, would later in the evening or tomorrow be okay for me to respond?

Dr. Mark