Ask Eleanor
Ask Eleanor, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Marriage & Family Therapist/Prof. Counselor for 20 years
57558633

If a stroke patien is prescribed serotonin, is it addictive,

If a stroke patien is prescribed serotonin, is it addictive, and; is it a mood enhancer or is it a sedative? Is it only in drugs like prozac or does it come in other non-sedative forms?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ask Eleanor replied 3 years ago.

Ask Eleanor :

Hello, I am here for you and understand your concern about your mother's medication. Is your mother being treated for depression?

Customer:

Not yet, she's very moody and suffers anxiety, that is why they asked if we would agree to valproic acid.

Ask Eleanor :

Is it a psychiatrist who is suggesting this medication?

Customer:

Neurologist

Ask Eleanor :

Thank you for answering my questions. I am going to begin typing my answer for you. It will take just a few moments.

Customer:

Ok

Ask Eleanor :

Serotonin is actually not a drug but a neurotransmitter produced in the brain. Prozac and similar anti-depressants are SSRIs (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors). They can be very effective in treatment of anxiety and depression (which usually occur together) and are not addictive. They can take up to two weeks or more to become effective. I would discuss this with your neurologist. If your mother is psychologically depressed, then an SSRI could be helpful to her. You may learn more about SSRIs at hhtp://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ssris/MH00066 . Does this answer your question?

Customer:

Is an SSRI a sedative, similar to adavan? We do not want anything that will make her loopy or less responsive. She needs soemthing that will quell her anxiety enough so that she can focus.

Ask Eleanor :

No, SSRIs are ant-depressants, not sedatives. Ativan is one of the anti-anxiety medications classed as a benzodiazipine and is sedating and highly addictive.

Customer:

Ok, thank you very much! One last question, what other SSRIs exist aside from Prozac?

Ask Eleanor :

You are very welcome. There are many other SSRIs in addition to Prozac, Zoloft being one of the most prescribed. You will find a complete list on the website I gave you. Please remember to click on the green accept button so that I will receive credit for my time with you. It has been my pleasure. I wish you and your mom all the best, XXXXX XXXXX Eleanor

Customer:

Great, will do, thanks!

Ask Eleanor, Psychotherapist
Experience: Marriage & Family Therapist/Prof. Counselor for 20 years