psychlady, Therapist
Experience:  Psychotherapist specializing in the treatment of a variety of mental health issues.

Daughter 19; is depressed - working on treatment issues - lives

Customer Question

Daughter 19; is depressed - working on treatment issues - lives at home, takes 2 classes at local college; does nothing else. Getting her to do the most minimal of things at home (like cleaning up after herself in the kitchen) results in an argument. That usually means stomping out of the room and accusing me of having different expectations of her brother. Currently there are dishes in the kitchen for over a week (enough that I can't have a meal here). If I clean up, she learns that if she waits long enough, I will take care of it. That's what her father did. He moved out over 2 years ago. I have told her that she needs to find another place to live - this is not working out. She says I have to understand that she is on medication, she's depressed, she has anxiety issues, and lays on the couch and watches TV except for the few hours she is in class. She is rude, disrespectful. I can't live in my home. She has no motivation to do what little I ask of her. Her tuition is covered.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  psychlady replied 5 years ago.
She absoltutely needs counseling as well as medication. Medication does not sufficiently alleviate depression and this depression can cause fatigue and lack of motivation. You could then ask to join some of these sessions and discuss her lack of concern for others. Convince her that with counseling she may feel motivated to do other things as well. Look for things that support cooperation rather than dependence. Do not reinforce her behavior. I know you think you don't but encourage only independence. Considr finding supports for her moving out.