Michael Jones, LMFT
Michael Jones, LMFT, Therapist
Experience:  Over 12 years experience as a therapist, both inpatient and outpatient. APA Board Certified.
50659084

SOMEONE iM VERY CLOSE TO HAD A VERY ANGRY OUTBURST IN MY CAR

Customer Question

SOMEONE iM VERY CLOSE TO HAD A VERY ANGRY OUTBURST IN MY CAR R/T A SITUATION. THE YELLING WAS SO INTENSE I PLEADED FOR THEM TO STOP. I REPEATED THAT THEY NEEDED TO CALM DOWN WHEN THEY DID'NT I PRCEEDED TO GENTLY FOR A SECOND COVER THEIR MOUTH. tHAT WAS A VERY BIG MISTAKE. HE GRABED MY WRIST AND TWISED IT TO THE FLOOR ON THE PASSENGERS SIDE OF THE CAR. I WAS TOTALLY HELPLESS AND PRAYED THAT HE WOULD NOT BREAK MY WRIST.
SUBSEQUENTLY THIS PERSON HAS HAD MANY OTHER OUTBURST WHICH ARE QUITE SCARY, YET HAVE NOT BEEN PHYSICAL IN NATURE.
cOULLD THIS BE INTERMIITENT EXPLOSIVE ANGER DISORDER? THIS INDIVIDUAL ALSO HAS AT TIMES A HIGH LEVEL OF ANXIETY.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Michael Jones, LMFT replied 6 years ago.

Michael Jones, LMFT :

Hello, my name isXXXXX and I'm a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist in California. I believe I can answer your question. May I first get some more information before formulating my answer?

Thank you for accepting the answer already. What is your relationship to this person? Do you know if they have a mental health diagnosis?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

ITS MY HUSBAND WE ARE CURRENTLY SEPERATED. HE HAS STARTED COUNSELING MANY TIMES AND STOPS. NOW HE STATES HES SERIOUS ABOUT GETTING HELP.

Thank you. I have a few more questions:
How old is he?
Has he had any legal issues as a result of his anger?
How long has anger been an issue for him?
Does he experience mood swings as well?
Does he have a mental health diagnosis?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

53

IN HIS TEENS I BELIEVE THERE WAS AN INCIDENT

QUITE A LONG TIME, I BELIEVE IT GOT WORSE WHEN WE COULD'NT CONCIEVE A CHILD (POST ABORTION INCIDNET - HE HAD ALOT OF GUILT, YET I THOUGHT IT WAS RESOLVED) RECENTLY STATED HE WAS ANGRY AT GOD THAT WE DIDNT HAVE OUR OWN CHILD.BELIEVE HES ANGRY AT LIFE THAT IT DIDNT TURN OUT THEY HE WANTED. WE HAVE A DAUGHTER WHOS 29 (NOT HIS BIOLOGICAL) 2 BEAUTIFUL GRANDCHILDREN.

YES HE HAS MOOD SWINGS

I 'M NOT CERTAIN OF THE ACTUAL DX YET THERAPIST HAVE MENTIONED ANXIETY/DEPRESSION. HES A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

MICHAEL I DIDNT RECIEVE A REPLY FROM YOU...

I am sorry. I didn't see your reply until this very moment. I am typing my answer and will have it to you in just a few moments.
As you're already aware, I cannot offer a diagnosis in a forum such as this.
That said, I would be hesitant to characterize your husband's behavior as symptomatic of Intermittent Explosive Disorder. This condition is characterized, from the DSM-IV, by "several discrete episodes of failure to resist aggressive impulses that result in serious assaultive acts or destruction of property" and "the degree of aggressiveness expressed during the episodes is grossly out of proportion to any precipitating psychosocial stressors." I don't see evidence, in your report, of several similar episodes which would negate this as a diagnosis. Also, the behavior must result in serious physical injury or major property damage. Again, that didn't happen in this case. It was certainly a frightening and shocking display of rage, but does not rise to the level required by this diagnosis. Intermittent Explosive Disorder had in the past been considered to be the result of a neurological disorder, but is now widely treated with serotonergic medications such as Prozac.
I would be much more inclined to look into the bipolar disorders, given that you report he has mood swings. An individual in a manic or hypomanic state can display this sort of aggressive behavior. Yet, even that diagnosis may be too strong for him.
First, your husband needs to be evaluated by another medical professional. What strikes me is that this behavior has not been, per your report, a consistent pattern, but a rather sporadic one. I'm wondering if it is not influenced by an underlying medical condition.
Second, I would have him visit a psychiatrist for a complete evaluation. I suspect that whatever his diagnosis, it may be best treated with medication.
Third, if he is in therapy, I would encourage his therapist to work with your husband on anger management skills training, cognitive restructuring, and improving coping skills. These would best be provided by a qualified cognitive-behavioral therapist in your area.

Thank you and I hope I have answered your question. Please remember to click the Accept button and leave your feedback for me. Should you have additional questions in the future, you may always contact me here at Just Answer.