Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist

how easy is it to treat adult adhd i was diagnosed last year

how easy is it to treat adult adhd? i was diagnosed last year with bpd and my new psych is now talking about a diagnosis of adult adhd. my score was 85. bpd requires medication and psycho therapy. does adhd require psychotherapy or is it managed by medication only. what kind of success rates are there? what is the longer term prognosis, can you be "fully functional". i am the single mother of a very active 3 yo boy and am considering ceasing work to concentrate on getting well and giving me and my son a better emotional life.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hi, Welcome to JA. I am sorry to hear about your situation.
Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a chronic condition that persists into adulthood from childhood. ADHD includes some combination of problems, such as difficulty sustaining attention, hyperactivity and impulsive behavior.
Treatment won't cure ADHD. But, it can help a great deal with symptoms. Treatment typically involves medications and behavioral interventions. You can fully function with ongoing treatment.

A combination of medication (like Ritalin and Adderal) and Psychotherapy are most effective for ADD/ADHD. I advise you to see a psychotherapist who specializes in Cognitive-Behavior therapy (CBT) and ADD/ADHD. If you are resistant to counseling for ADHD, you may need at least a personal coach (a therapist who provides life coaching) to help you manage disorganization, attention, frustration tolerance etc..

The books “The Disorganized Mind: Coaching Your ADHD Brain to Take Control of Your Time, Tasks, and Talents by Ratey” and “10 Simple Solutions to Adult ADD: How to Overcome Chronic Distraction & Accomplish Your Goals by Sarkis” may be helpful.

I hope you get well.

Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. P.S. Please remember to click the green accept button. Feel free to continue the discussion even after you press the accept button; my goal is to get you the best answers possible. Warm regards,