How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Elliott, LPCC, NCC Your Own Question

Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 7664
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Elliott, LPCC, NCC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Next month Ill be 25 and for as long as I can remember Ive

Customer Question

Next month I'll be 25 and for as long as I can remember I've always felt a disconnection with myself and at times numb to emotions. I always felt that I should be some one else, I fear looking in a mirror at times because the face that stares back appears foreign and doesn't emotionally feel like me.
I've been told my entire life how attractive I'm, so it has nothing to do with looks. When I was in high school I hated this feeling so much I created imaginary person (alter ego) who I could relate to more and would pretend to be him, and pray that every morning I would wake up as him and not myself. Is there a name for what I am experiencing?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 5 years ago.
Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

You are experiencing some type of Dissociative Disorder, some place between Depersonalization Disorder, which is a sense of being cut off or detached from you self, and Dissociative Identify Disorder (DID), where a person develops at least two distinct personalties or personality traits. If they are mixed, and there is some of both, it can be diagnosed as Dissociative Disorder Not Otherwise Specified.

People with Depersonalization Disorder also commonly experience derealization, which can be defined as a feeling the exterior world is unreal or odd.

These symptoms can be a reaction to extreme stress, or to feelings of inferiority or low self-esteem, which occurred when you were younger.

A scholarly guideline about the treatment of DID can be download and read at:

Something less specific that covers dissociative disorders in general can be found at this Mayo Clinic website.

You can be helped if this is causing you distress in any way. I urge you to visit a mental health specialist who focuses on dissociative disorders.

I wish you the very best, and urge you to find some positve support.

Sincere regards,

Elliott Sewell,LPCC, NCC

Related Mental Health Questions