Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice

I often hear Dr. Phil offering to set people up with a reputable

Customer Question

I often hear Dr. Phil offering to set people up with a reputable drug rehab program in the guest's home town. Is there a way to find out this information in the NC area? My son is a heroin addict and is willing to go into drug rehab but I am unsure how to find a good program for him. Thanks so much.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.

Hi! I believe I can be of help with this issue.

First, let me say I can imagine how distressing this situation must be for you. You are clearly a loving parent and your son has one of the most difficult addictions.

Choosing the best residential facility is a process. It has to take into account the patient's needs and the cost of the proposed facility. So this is something you will have to negotiate with the management staff at the facility. I don't know of an rehab facilities that also have on-site educational facilities as well. This is handled after rehab when the person goes to live on his own or in a half-way house or with family. Part of the after-residential treatment program would be the educational component.

I would like to recommend to you the Pavillon in Mill Spring. It is a nonprofit organization and has extended stay opportunities which might be useful for him. This is one of the reasons I am recommending it. Here is their web address.

You can also call them:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Okay. I wish you and your son the very best!

Please remember to click the green accept button. Feel free to continue the discussion; my goal is to get you the best answers possible. Bonuses are always appreciated! If I can be of further help with any issue, just put "for Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do you have any other recommendations in other states? Do you have any information/thoughts on a program called TROSA in Durham, NC?
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
Hi. My information on TROSA is that it's a very long term occupational/educational rehabilitation program. It was started in 1994 by Kevin McDonald who had terrible substance abuse problems himself. It is a great opportunity for your son. I don't know, though, if it's an opportunity right away. That's why I suggested a drug rehab center. I'm just not sure if he's going to go through withdrawal that they have the medical staff to deal with heroin withdrawal. But call them and find out. And even if not, maybe you can already have him in line for when he gets to a point that they would accept him! Their phone number is 919-419-1059.

All the best to you, Dr. Mark