Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

Does add get worse with age for most people I am 42 was dx

Customer Question

Does add get worse with age for most people? I am 42 was dx in early childhood, my social filter is now gone, impulse behavior is out of control. I use a daily system of alarms and notes to function at home, but have begun to ignore them. I am a nurse, at work I can hyper focus on tasks. I don't take meds now...took Ritalin years ago and it was life changing, but quit due to the stigma of Ritalin . Thanks
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 5 years ago.
Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

I admire your courage to stay focused on your tasks at work, despite your ADHD (the new term for ADD). That is a nurse's strength. It also shows that you CAN focus when you want to, but you are letting down your guard outside of your job.

Perhaps the tasks at home are not important enough to exert the effort. Perhaps you need to triage those tasks and drop some of them so that you don't have as much pressure on yourself to perform.

To answer your question, 'does ADD get worse with age?' There has been a study that found hyperactivity and impulsivity symptoms decline at a higher rate than inattention symptoms, but adults still struggle with many ADHD symptoms. Menopause, which you may be too young for (with or without ADHD) reduces the sharpness of memory, in general. This decline is common as we age, but may in some cases be a result of not utilizing our mental powers as rigorously as we have in the past. As a nurse you probably do.

Our ability to think clearly, to concentrate, to reason, to imagine, to make decisions, to solve problems and to think clearly and creatively depends a great deal on how well and how often we exercise our mind.

If the Ritalin helps you and has no significant side effects, then by all means continue with it. There is no stigma if it remains a private transaction between you, your physician, and your pharmacist.

I would like to recommend a couple of intelligently written and effective self-help books on ADHD that have been well received. They are:

Mastering Your Adult ADHD: A Cognitive-Behavioral Treatment Program Therapist Guide (Treatments That Work) by Steven A. Safren, Carol A. Perlman, Susan Sprich and Michael W. Otto

AND

More Attention, Less Deficit: Success Strategies for Adults with ADHD by Ari Tuckman

Persevere. You can reach the level of focus and have less distractions if you use a method to train yourself without stressing yourself, and perhaps if you use the proper dose of meds, if you think they are helping and not harming you.

I wish you the very best in your endeavor to manage your behavior successfully.

My sincere regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks. Have a great day
Thank you for your good wishes. I hope that you can get back on track. You already know how to do it when you have to.

Blessings to you,

Elliott