Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

My 29 year old son is demonstrating behavior of a paranoid

My 29 year old son is demonstrating behavior of a paranoid schizophrenic person. Two weeks ago he almost cut his finger off and cut lines on his neck and face. He will not get help because he says the counselors are not real people but are in comaphlogue. He will not get into the mental health system to be assess for medication because he does not trust anyone. He is on SSI. He gets his check tomorrow and says he is going to Mexico to tell their government some of the United Sates deeds like creating terrorists. He is constantly complaining about people following him and torturing him. He is homeless because I, his mother, had to get a restraining order because he would get violent at times and punch holes in wall at home. He is having a psychotic break now and I do not know how to help him since he will not go to the hospital or seek any mental health help. Please help me with some advice as soon as possible.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 5 years ago.
Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

I read your alarming letter and you have been doing your best. Get hold of a trusted attorney and see if you can get him committed for a longer period of time as he is a danger to his own life, and possible to others because of his paranoid ideations.

He shows strong symptoms of paranoid schizophrenia and needs serious help immediately.

You may also contact the agency where he was 5150ed before and perhaps they can help you as well.

You must contact as many agencies as possible and make sure you are heard loud and clear. This is definitely an urgent matter and you are right to pursue it to your full capacity.

The laws differ from state to state and a competent attorney is your best guide. There is no quick solution except to coerce him to be helped.

I wish the best for your son and for all of your family,

Most sincerely,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC