Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice
50444359

I am a 61-year-old woman who has been devastated by the recession --I

Customer Question

I am a 61-year-old woman who has been devastated by the "recession"--I lost my job 2 1/2 yrs. ago, most of the equity in my home, and half my IRA account. I applied for jobs but not was hired...I am currently working as a "senior caregiver" and make $80/week and am living off of my rapidly depleting IRA. I have always been a hard worker and have always paid my bills, even as a single mom. I have no medical insurance, but thank God I am healthy, except for my current emotional state. I don't know anyone else who is in my current situation. I appreciate the work that Dr. Phil does, but I would like to see him deal with "real" problems, such as survival for women like me...P.S. I am NOT suicidal, but am finding it hard to figure out a plan where I am again motivated and excited about my life. Thank you..
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 3 years ago.

Hi! I believe I can be of help with this issue.

First, let me say I can imagine how overwhelming and distressing this situation must be for you. This economic situation we are in now has been devastating for so many people, and not least for people in our age group. And it's not just women; men in our age group are finding themselves in this same predicament.

And this is actually the key to my answer to you that you need to consider and think about. We in this age group have worked hard, played by the rules, and did our best to build some savings and assets. And yet, we are the first to be shunned when the resumes are looked at. And then the government programs say we are too "wealthy" for benefits. Yes, this is a real problem for many people.

You are clearly an intelligent and smart lady as well. I'm going to paste in the address for writing Dr. Phil's show to propose yourself as a guest. I know you're smart enough to know the chances are slim to slimmer. But I think you are articulate and have a point of view to share that is of interest. So, why not try?

http://drphil.com/plugger/respond/?plugID=11311

You are also smart enough as well to know but I'm going to put in some of the strategies that you have to stay true to. Why?

Because if you let down your guard and stop doing these things, even for a while, you are going to lose momentum. And this is like the pro athletes: in our economy the difference between winning and losing the job is measured in tiny increments. In this case it's tiny increments of effort, gumption, and stick-to-itness.

So: networking. Every friend and acquaintance needs a friendly email, call, etc.

Craig's List. It's the new indispensable resource.

Google "nonprofit jobs {name of your state}" and look for opportunities in the nonprofit sector. It pays less than the for profit sector so the competition from high quality people like you is less. But it pays more than you're currently making.

Teach. See if there are teaching opportunities for someone with your work background in any type of education setting. Even church groups in your congregation. Offer to conduct a class on something for people in your congregation. Charge $5 a person. If they like it, ask the pastor to recommend you to his colleague. In the group you teach, there might be someone who knows of a job.

See if a construction company doing city or state work would hire you to hold those signs for cars to stop. They need to show women on the payroll.

Get the picture? Okay!

And remember: when you were working, your problems you had then were "real" to you at that time. So everyone's problems are real....

Get out there and beat the system at its own game!

I wish you the very best!

Please remember to click the green accept button. Feel free to continue the discussion; my goal is to get you the best answers possible. Bonuses are always appreciated! If I can be of further help with any issue, just put "for Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, Dr. Mark