Dr. Shirley Schaye
Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor
Experience:  PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy
45897396

Hi, Can I talk to someone who is psychiatry My daughter took a semester from college and

Customer Question

Hi, Can I talk to someone who is psychiatry? My daughter took a semester off from college after two years and a half, and stay at home doing nothing basically. The reason she left school because she did not go to class most of the time toward the end of last semester therefore was not able to keep up with school. She did ok freshman but got worse until coming back to home. She said she had problem concentrating in class so she did not go anymore. Now she said she felt bad about her self, lack of self esteem, fear to go out meeting/seeing people. She stay in her own space all day long does not want to go out. She reads Bible or some other books of her interest sometimes, but mostly she is just meditating per her say to get her stronger. She took medician on depression and ADD before but stopped. What could be the problem?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Shirley Schaye replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am so...ooo very sorry to hear about your daughter's problems. Most colleges have Mental health counseling services. She must get help. NO --- she is not able to do this by herself. Also, if she has ADD she needs the proper medication that will help her to focus and apply herself to her work. The counseling services within colleges are very good at keeping the students information confidential. She ought not fear to get the help she needs. Nothing good will come of her treating herself. PLEASE urge her to go get help so that her life can be turned around. She need not suffer with the problems she has if she gets the proper help. She definitely needs a psychiatrist for her ADD and her depression.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

She has seen psychiatrist, I reason I contact you is that I thougt you are psychiatrist and you can give me second advise on what the dignost you will do, I am not seeking a susggest to see a psychiatrist

It is ILLEGAL to diagnose someone online --- not to mention that I am having zero contact with her. This site will give you advice about what needs to be done. It cannot treat her but Just Answer can tell you what kind of treatment she can get to help her. If she doesn't want to seek the advice of a psychiatrist given her problems with concentrating in school and her ADD and her depression there is nothing that is going to help her. She is probably depressed because she is not concentrating in school because of her ADD which is not being treated. I hear what you said that you are not seeking my advice for her to see a psychiatrist. However, you are asking my professional advice and my advice is that she needs to see a psychiatrist. I have 17 years of post college education in the mental health field and over 30 years working in the mental health field. So what I told you is my professional opinion. I am truly sorry that you are not able to see how critical that is in your daughter's care.