Tamara, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  20+ yrs Private Practice; Cert. Master Therapist; National Board Certified; APA Board Certified

Dear Tamara, I dont know if you remember me, but Im

Dear Tamara,
I don't know if you remember me, but I'm the one who's tried to remove his testicles in order to feel safe after 8 years of sexual punishment from my mom from age 6 to 14 years old. I'm still struggling from day to day. Last year, in April, I again tried to castrate myself by banding myself. I wasn't prepared for how excrusiatingly painful it would be, was found disabled by someone, rushed to the hospital, where I spent 12 days in the psych unit. Tamara, I don't want to be 85 years old & still struggling like I am. I know you don't know me, but I'm a normal appearing, clean cut, kind person. I just have this very distressing problem. Can't someone get it. I don't want my testicles anymore. Then I can be happy & secure. It's a simple surgery for a surgeon. People, all the time, have elective surgeries that are far more involved, like lyposunction & banding their intestines. I just want to feel safe & good about my body like other people do. Can you give me yor feedback?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Tamara replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Yes, of course I remember you. I'm sorry to hear that you are still struggling with this issue. It sounds like you have had a tough time of it. I really wish that there was something I could say, or a direction I could send you, that would help you with this. I can tell that you are in a lot of emotional pain, and no one should have to deal with that on a regular basis.

For what it's worth, I agree with you that you should be able to have that surgery done if that is what you want. I can't see any reason why a surgeon should not be able to perform that for you. But, as you are well aware, most people are going to see this as a mental health issue, and they are going to be unlikely to want to help you. From their perspective, you are harming yourself - it will be hard for them to accept that you believe this will help you.

I would encourage you to continue your therapy and medication, and keep addressing this issue in the ways that you have available to you. I hate to hear that you are trying to castrate yourself, and hope that you won't do something like that again. As you know, there could be some serious medical consequences of attempting to take care of this yourself. Keep looking for a surgeon who will help you - perhaps someone in another country would be more open to your request.

I wish you the best, XXXXX XXXXX glad to talk with you through this forum if it is at all helpful to you. Again, I'm sorry that I can't give you the answer or information that I know you would like to hear. Take care.