Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Need some advice. My family and I were in an abusive situation

Customer Question

Need some advice. My family and I were in an abusive situation for about 9 years when I was young. That man has since moved on and I have recently stumbled upon him on the web and find that he has worked with "at-risk" children. Is it my place to pass on my experience to anyone else or would that get me into legal trouble?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

You are allowed to tell others the experience you went through. But what you want to be aware of is that if you tell others this person's name, you are in essence accusing him publicly of a crime. If you do this and he finds out, he could accuse you of slander (check with your attorney on the legality of this).

What you want to do instead is contact the authorities. Talk to the police and let them know your concerns. They will be able to tell you whether or not you can warn others. If you are interested, you can also see if you can still pursue charges against this person. If you want to do that, you would have a better chance of making sure others find out what he has done, given that he is found guilty of the crime. He would have a criminal history and therefore not be allowed to work with children.

I hope this has helped you,

Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Kate. You have pretty much confirmed what I was thinking also. From a young age I taught myself to remember without reliving and would like to keep that delicate balance so will let Karma take it from here. Thank you again.

You are welcome! It is very thoughtful and caring of you, considering what you went through with this man, that you would think of others. I hope it all works out for you.

Kate