Luann, Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist, 24 years experience working with children, adolescents, families and adults.

Hi I am a 47 yearsold single mum of two daughters 10 years

I am a 47 yearsold single mum of two daughters 10 years and 17 years old, I work part time in the local gp as a receptionist. I have a history of recurrent bulimia from 1981 - 1994 then revurred last year 2010 until present. The accompanying behaviour has also returned along with the bulimia i.e loss of interest in my appearance, house work, maintaince of my diary, missing appointments, being late, not openiong my bills and letters I am way overdrawn with the bank, (I have financed my mortgage, car, bills and the up bringing of my 2 daughters as their father has not paid since we split up in 2001). I am drinking a bottle of wine every night, having terrible arguments with my 17 years old daughter, there is loads of things I want to do and that I am interested in but I do nothing. I feel deep deep inner heart ache and guilt for the life my daughters have being brought into. I have not met anyone since 2005 a breif encounter with a man whom I was more interested in his staatus and wealth than him, sometimes I wonder if I am capable of loving? I was adopted and did not find out until a stumbled upon the adoption cert at the age of 16yrs (my world fell apart). I have a degree and an amspar med sec diploma 'distintiction'. Hope this gives a little insight to advise? Michelle
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Luann replied 5 years ago.

It sounds like you are feeling quite miserable and like things are spinning out of your control. The things you are describing are fixable problems. Do not give up hope. You deserve to feel better. I think it would be helpful to prioritize things. First of all, your drinking wine every night has to be addressed. You need to stop. Alcohol is a depressant and only adding to your problems and low mood. I am not saying it is the primary problem, but you are using it as a fix and it is not working. In fact it is making things worse. If you find it difficult to stop, seek out and attend AA meetings. The only requirement for attendance is a desire to stop drinking, you do not have to be an alcoholic. The meetings will give you support and tools to not drink. You can find meetings at Then you can address the other issues you have. I strongly recommend that you get into counseling/therapy to work on your low mood, eating issues and low self-esteem. The last thing you will want to work on is your relationships with your daughters. Some of the conflict with them will resolve as you work on the first two things - not drinking and yourself. Do not delay, make an appointment with a counselor today and make the crucial first step to feeling better. Your life will improve and your relationships with your daughters will improve. Good luck to all of you, let me know if you have further questions.