Arundhati, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  Licensed psychotherapist, Published Wellness Author

Have a big fear of public speaking go to bed thinking about

Have a big fear of public speaking go to bed thinking about things i have to speak about in future fathers funeral and weddings ect. Thought process seems to freeze when infront of people. When around lot of people i know example footy club i get very anxiose.
ButXXXXX XXXXXne do you think i should see someone about it.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Arundhati replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for writing in to Just Answer.

To an extent most people experience a certain unease, anxiety or discomfort around public speaking. However in your case it seems that the worry tends to bother you quite a bit - especially anticipated anxiety (anxiety for things that has not happened yet). If this is the case some professional help will be good. I would recommend that you consult with a psychotherapist or psychologist for ongoing therapy sessions to address this fear and anxiety. A therapist would be able to provide you with the tools and techniques that you can use to minimize your anxiety.

Another thing to remember is that very often, such fears are best addressed by facing them through the repeated practice of public speaking. One international non-profit that helps people to better their public speaking skills and get over their fears around public speaking is called Toastmasters (very popular in the US) where you would give a couple minute speeches in front of a supportive group of members. This kind of practice on a weekly basis typically lessens the fear in a lot of people. I would recommend that you look up a ToastMasters chapter near you and consider attending their meet up.

I hope this was helpful.

Please do let me know if you have additional questions/thoughts.

Warm regards,