How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Arundhati Your Own Question
Arundhati, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 259
Experience:  Licensed psychotherapist, Published Wellness Author
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Arundhati is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband is suffering from severe depression. It is affecting

Resolved Question:

My husband is suffering from severe depression. It is affecting all aspects of his life, social, work and family life. He is also showing signs of anxiety when he has to go away on business or if the children and I go away and he is on his own. He is drinking far more alcohol than is good for him and this just worsens the depression. We are living in India and he does not feel comfortable going to a psychologist here, I plan to take him to see someone when we go home at the end of June but need to do something about it now. He is 47 years old and has a history of chronic depression in his family.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Arundhati replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for writing in to Just Answer.

I'm very sorry to hear what your husband is going through.

Would it be possible for your husband to access counseling/therapy online? There are some sites I believe where licensed practitioners offer online or phone counseling. Breakthrough is such a site that comes to mind though the time difference may make it hard.

Other than that your husband could consider trying something like Mindfulness Meditation that has worked to lower anxiety and depression in many clients. You can find introductory information about it from world leader in this field - Dr. Jon Kabat Zinn here.

If he is experiencing high levels of anxiety he could consider consulting with a psychiatrist for a temporary dose of anti-anxiety medications.

If you can figure out where the depression and anxiety might be originating from - such as work, not having enough of a social circle etc. - then you can take appropriate measures to address it. Perhaps finding more expats in your city will help him feel more at home? Or simply strengthening your social network or engaging in activities (weekend trips etc.) will help him feel better?

I hope this was helpful.

Please let me know if you have additional questions/thoughts.

Warm regards,

Arundhati and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions