Arundhati
Arundhati, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  Licensed psychotherapist, Published Wellness Author
41101243

My husband is suffering from severe depression. It is affecting

My husband is suffering from severe depression. It is affecting all aspects of his life, social, work and family life. He is also showing signs of anxiety when he has to go away on business or if the children and I go away and he is on his own. He is drinking far more alcohol than is good for him and this just worsens the depression. We are living in India and he does not feel comfortable going to a psychologist here, I plan to take him to see someone when we go home at the end of June but need to do something about it now. He is 47 years old and has a history of chronic depression in his family.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Arundhati replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for writing in to Just Answer.

I'm very sorry to hear what your husband is going through.

Would it be possible for your husband to access counseling/therapy online? There are some sites I believe where licensed practitioners offer online or phone counseling. Breakthrough is such a site that comes to mind though the time difference may make it hard.

Other than that your husband could consider trying something like Mindfulness Meditation that has worked to lower anxiety and depression in many clients. You can find introductory information about it from world leader in this field - Dr. Jon Kabat Zinn here.

If he is experiencing high levels of anxiety he could consider consulting with a psychiatrist for a temporary dose of anti-anxiety medications.

If you can figure out where the depression and anxiety might be originating from - such as work, not having enough of a social circle etc. - then you can take appropriate measures to address it. Perhaps finding more expats in your city will help him feel more at home? Or simply strengthening your social network or engaging in activities (weekend trips etc.) will help him feel better?

I hope this was helpful.

Please let me know if you have additional questions/thoughts.

Warm regards,

Arundhati