Arundhati
Arundhati, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  Licensed psychotherapist, Published Wellness Author

Doc, I have just recently come back from a tour in the persian

Doc,

I have just recently come back from a tour in the persian gulf. I was under alot of stress at times but seemed to be stressed even when things were quiet in the operational environment i was in. At times i found it hard to concerntrate, peice together a sentence, (both in my head and when trying to voice something) I have trouble sleeping and feel unmotivated alot of the time. Also i get paranoid about things like the end of the world and God. Im back in Australia now and although i have had an assesment whilst deployed and the conclusion was i was just stressed. I still have those feelings and thoughts just as much as i did then. The only thing it seems keeping me sain is wanting deep down to think logically about things. What is your diagnosis noting that you cant see or observe my behaviour?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Arundhati replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for writing in to Just Answer.

I'm very sorry to hear about what you are going through.

From what you describe it sounds like what you are now experiencing is ptsd (post traumatic stress disorder). This could have set in due to either a specific traumatic experience or the whole overall stressful experience of being deployed there.

If deep breathing and rationally talking your way through these bouts of anxiety seem to be working then by all means continue them. Another thing you can consider is counseling. Talking out your experiences can certainly help to lower anxiety. Also a counselor will be able to offer you more tools and techniques to deal with the anxiety.

Since deep breathing has somewhat helped, what else might help is mindfulness meditation which takes the mind back to a place of deep peace and silence. You can try a CD on mindfulness meditation here or read more about the concept here.

PTSD is very much treatable in that your symptoms should definitely decrease with time and professional guidance so please do not despair.

I hope this has helped.

Please let me know if you have additional questions/thoughts.

Kind regards,

Arundhati
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
would ptsd affect the way i think and affect me being able to string together a sentence? Is that just anxiety?
Expert:  Arundhati replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the additional question.

The difficulty in stringing together a sentence, finding the right words to express yourself, short term memory loss, inability to sleep, a general sense of de-motivation can all be symptoms of anxiety. High levels of anxiety is also seen in those with ptsd. You might also be experiencing some amount of depression or a general sense of helplessness and feeling purposeless. My understanding is that all your symptoms are interrelated.

I hope this helps.

Please do let me know if you have additional questions, thoughts.

Kind regards,

Arundhati
Arundhati, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience: Licensed psychotherapist, Published Wellness Author