David Akiva
David Akiva, BA, MA,
Experience:  Counselor; Behavioral Consultant
57833540

my 14 yr old granddaughter decided not to go to school anymore.

my 14 yr old granddaughter decided not to go to school anymore. She gets straight A's but doesn't like school. Her mother is working with the school so she can study from home. Is this possible?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  David Akiva replied 3 years ago.

Therapist :

Welcome to JA.com. Do you mind if I ask a few questions to better understand your situation and your question?

Therapist :

I noticed that you haven't responded. That's ok. You must be busy right now with another task. I'll check back shortly for your response.

Customer:

I will be here to answer your questions.

Therapist :

Thank you.

Therapist :

I'd like to get a clear sense of your daughter and granddaughter's situation. Do you know why your granddaughter doesn't like going to school despite such high grades?

Customer:

No she lives in Florida. She never is happy with what she has. She hates Florida. She hates her High School. She always wants to do the opposite of what everyone else wants.

Therapist :

Does she get in trouble and/or hang out with friends that are a bad influence?

Customer:

She hangs out some. Mostly she is on facebook and internet stuff.. She stays up late at night and needs to be at the

Customer:

bus at 6:00 am. I think she is exhausted.

Therapist :

Thank you for that. So the problem here is disciplinary, your granddaughter does not follow your daughter's parental direction?

Customer:

Right. She decides she wants something and starts on her mother to make it happen. The mother says no and the daughter gets mad and yells and says terrible things to Mom and evenually her mother lets her have it.

Therapist :

I think I understand. I've worked with out-of-control teens and children in treatment settings, schools and treatment foster care settings.

Therapist :

To answer your presenting question. Your granddaughter can do school work at home in most cases. Most school boards require a minimum number of days of attendance at a school and the rest of the time can be spent working away from school or at home as long as the school principal and parents agree. I assume she has the minimum number of attendance days since we're approaching the end of the year.

Therapist :

Is there other information I can help you with today? Do you have more specific questions I can try to answer for you?

Customer:

No thank you. They have an appt. with a therapist. Hopefully we can get it worked out..

Therapist :

Alright, well thank you for choosing justanswer.com. I wish you and your family the very best.

David Akiva, BA, MA,
Experience: Counselor; Behavioral Consultant