Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

I have been feeling real tired after my baby 6 months ago i

Customer Question

I have been feeling real tired after my baby 6 months ago i have been having thoughts that i do not want to be alone with my baby i might hurt him and my husband dont understand he has now threatened to leave me
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

It is important that you get help as soon as you can. Having a baby puts enormous stress on a mother and can cause frustration and exhaustion if there is no support or relief.

Can you make an appointment to see your doctor as soon as possible? They will be able to provide support through talking with you about how common this feeling is and maybe offer you some medication to help lift your mood until you get your strength back.

It is also important that you see a therapist. Along with the support it would give you, it would help if your husband can go along. He needs to understand that your feelings are common and can be treated. He also needs to help you as much as he can. You need a break. Being a mom is 24/7, not just 9 to 5. No one can work everyday all day without needing downtime. Your husband could give you some time to do something for yourself. Take a bath, get your hair done, anything that you feel would boost your mood and help your outlook.

Is there any family around that can help? Maybe a relative who can take the baby for a short time so you can get rest? How about day care? Even if it's just for a few hours so you can get some down time and help yourself catch up on sleep.

Are there any mom and child groups in your area? I know you are tired and probably don't want to do more than you have to, but if you could spend some time in the company of other moms, you would not feel alone and isolated, which is a big problem when you have small children and babies.

Do you have anyone you can call if your feelings start to overwhelm you? Family, friends, even a therapist you can contact. Is there a hotline where you are? If you cannot find one, talk to your doctor or therapist about who you can call for help in an emergency.

Remember, this too shall pass. Before you know it, your child will be attending school and you will be able to get back some of the freedom you had before.

I hope this helps you,
Kate

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My father died when i was 5 and my mother withdrew, she refuses to leave the house i am so angry with her that does not want to visit and i do not have the energy to visit her, I miss my dad and canyt undestand why he had to die my mother never allowed me to have any friend what is wrong with me what should i say when i call a therapist

It does sound like you are experiencing some unresolved issues around your father's death and your relationship with your mother. These are important issues to work out in therapy. Your anger with your mother may be showing itself through frustration with your baby.

When you contact the therapist, let them know you have issues you want to work on about your parents. Also, tell them you are experiencing a lot of stress right now with the birth of your baby. They won't need more than that to make an appointment for you.

Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
THANK YOU will do that.

You're welcome! I wish you the best. Take care

Kate