Kristin, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Mental Health Counselor. 11+ years specialist in mental health. Expertise and insight!

My mother who is 75 has told me at least three times in the

My mother who is 75 has told me at least three times in the past week that she wishes she were dead. That she is so depressed that she most of the time wishes she could just go lay down in her bed and die. She is on antidepressants and has been on several different ones over time. She lives alone and chooses her life--in other words, has money, freedom, several misc health issues, although none very serious--except her mental state. She goes to a psychiatrist once a month. Do I have a right to call her doctor?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kristin replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

Sounds like you are quite exhausted from being her caretaker emotionally. Yes, you have the right to call her doctor and I would do so without delay and let the doctor know of her suicidal feelings and thoughts. It also sounds like she really needs to see a therapist in addition to the psychiatrist and/or see someone more than once per month.

For you, you will really need to start setting some boundaries with her. Its great that you got her into the swimming class, that was very smart of you, as it's both physical and social. You cannot do everything for her and don't start or it will become much more difficult to stop. Once she is out of this stage of saying she wants to die, and you feel she is more stable and on solid ground, you can slowly set the boundaries with her. I think that having her own therapist that she can call or see once per week could help alleviate some of this emotional burden for you as well. Again, do call her doctor without hesitation and let him/her know of her mental status. Call her psychiatrist as well. Please click ACCEPT for this answer. And feel free to continue discussion with me, even after accepting answer. Thank you and best wishes...