Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

im very depressed and stayed in bed for weeks now. before that

im very depressed and stayed in bed for weeks now. before that i had nervous crisis for weeks. things i used to like seem without meaning. i have two sons 11 and 15 this is that i must get well. saw a neurologist by 25 of feb. gave me Zoloft and xanax for a month. the dose was too high and i lowered it myself from 150mg to 25mg gradually. he said that was bad that i did this and we continued last wedn, with 100mg at ..,noontime.we switched from xanax to tabor tablet because the made me trembling,im 44 female and propabely i suffer from not having a goal in life. most time in my life i must have suffered ffrom depression without knowing what is was. no god relationship with mother. i live in greece for 20 years now but my sibblings would not com for some reeason only to my wedding and the christening. whatsgoing on with me. i have met many people within the years but have no good friend close by. something must be not ok with me. when i get depressed.and there happened many things the past month. i feel so stupid.little and hopeless
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like you may have had depression for a while now and it was aggravated by your isolation and feeling that you have no goals in your life.

To start your recovery, take small steps to help yourself each day. I know it feels overwhelming, but even a small effort is going to help you move forward and get through this depression. Start by setting a goal to get out of bed each morning. It is hard to do, but try. Set out clothes and get yourself dressed. Eat breakfast with your children. If you need to, go back to bed afterwards. But if not, stay up. Set a small goal, something you like to do. Then see if you can stay out of bed and complete your goal. Keep doing this until you feel you can stay up all day. Continue to make goals like this and push through the depression.

Think about a goal you would like to achieve in your life. What is something that makes you feel good and that you think you could accomplish? Focus on that goal. The small steps you take now are to reach that goal. Use the goal to motivate yourself each day.

You mentioned feeling isolated. You may not be able to see your family, but making a few friends would help. Again, start slow with your goal. Once you are feeling up to it, go out and try small talk with anyone you meet in the store or other places. Smile if you can. You may not feel like it, but sometimes you need to do something you don't feel yet to make yourself eventually feel it.

Talk with your doctor about your medications. They may not be working for you. It is very common for people to try various medications before finding ones that work. The medications should be at the very least helping you cope with the symptoms of your depression.

Consider talking with a therapist. Medications are great for helping you deal with symptoms, but they do not address the original problem. I am not familiar with they mental health system where you live, but if you talk with your doctor, they may know therapists you can see. The therapist can help you learn how to cope with the depression and help you get to the root of your problem.

Here are some books that can help you as well:

Overcoming Depression One Step at a Time: The New Behavioral Activation Approach to Getting Your Life Back (New Harbinger Self-Help Workbook) by Michael E., Ph.D. Addis and Christopher R. Martell

Self-Coaching: The Powerful Program to Beat Anxiety and Depression, 2nd Edition, Completely Revised and Updated by Joseph J. Luciani

The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Depression: A Step-by-step Program (Workbook) by William J. Knaus and Albert Ellis

You can find these on Amazon.com or if you have access to a library, they may be able to get them for you.

I hope this helps you,
Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.