TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

I have depression I am being treated for it but I have an addiction

I have depression I am being treated for it but I have an addiction to shopping. My marriage is failing,because of this Im not sure where to turn to. Could you please help me.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

It is very common for an addiction to occur with a diagnosis such as depression so you are not alone. Admitting you have a problem is a very good first step.

You can start helping yourself and your marriage by working on this problem. If you have numerous debts from your addiction, start by seeking financial help. You need to get your debts under control and begin repairing the damage done.

Stop using credit cards and your checkbook. Use only cash, to make it easier for you to see what you are spending. It also limits how much you can spend at one time.

Go shopping with friends and family who understand your addiction. They can help you think about a purchase before you impulsively buy it. They can also help deter your spending by being there. You may be less likely to overspend with others who are not overspending themselves.

Consider joining a support group. There are many addiction support groups that can provide help in stopping your addiction and provide support for you in addressing your problem. Contact your local community mental health center for support groups in your area.

There are also books you can read to help you understand your addiction better and give you ideas on how to break your addiction:

Spent: Break the Buying Obsession and Discover Your True Worth by Sally Palaian

Bought Out and Spent! Recovery from Compulsive Shopping & Spending by Terrence Daryl

Stop Me Because I Can't Stop Myself : Taking Control of Impulsive Behavior by Jon Grant, S.W. Kim and Gregory Fricchione

You can find these on or your local library may have them available.

You also can talk with your doctor about a referral to therapy for treatment. A therapist can help you work on your behaviors and give you ways to stop your addiction by getting to the root of your problem. Cognative behavioral therapy is excellent in helping those with addictions break their habits. Consider taking your husband with you to begin the healing process in your marriage.

I hope this has helped you,