Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
13965555

I cant control my thoughts. I couple of months ago I started

I can't control my thoughts. I couple of months ago I started thinking something bad that I would never do but it wouldn't leave my mind. then I though of something else that wouldn't go away. Even though I would never do these thing I can't stop them from disapearing from my mind. It just sort of happened and I think keeping myself busy and getting a boyfriend would make them go away. I feel of them even though its only been a short while and I see no way out.
Submitted: 3 years ago via HealthBoards.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 3 years ago.

Carol Kryder LMFT :

Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer. Your question is not closed until you are satisfied. I am happy to assist you with your question.

Carol Kryder LMFT :

These thoughts sound like obsessive unwanted thoughts. They may be a symptom of extreme anxiety or some type of psychotic process. You really need to be evaluated by a mental health professional. There are medications and therapy to help with this condition.

Carol Kryder LMFT :

Do you have any further questions about this?

Customer:

What are they called, where do I find these mental health professionals

Carol Kryder LMFT :

I think you need to see a psychologist to make the diagnosis. A psychiatrist is a medical doctor who can prescribe medications. You can see either a psychiatrist or a nurse practitioner.

Customer:

whats a psychotic process?

Carol Kryder LMFT :

Are the thoughts inside your head, or do they sound more like voices telling you to do things?

Carol Kryder LMFT :

A psychotic process is voices telling you to do things

Customer:

no voice tells me, its what I see cos I don't no how to stop them, I just remember them al the time

Carol Kryder LMFT :

So you are saying there are no voices, but you are seeing things?

Customer:

where do these mental health professionals work?

Customer:

yes,

Carol Kryder LMFT :

I am unfamiliar with the United Kingdom medical system, but you can call your doctor and ask for a psychiatric evaluation. Have them give you a referral. If you are seeing things and having obsessive thought you may need an antipsychotic medication.

Customer:

i remember them and thats why they won't go away. I don't do much during the day so I have alot of time on my hands

Carol Kryder LMFT :

You remember the unwanted thoughts and they will not leave your head?

Customer:

i don't no why they suddenly came to me. I feel horrid

Customer:

yes

Carol Kryder LMFT :

That sounds more like obsessive thinking, which may be a precurser to a psychotic episode. No need to be frightened, but do call your doctor and ask for a referral to a mental health professional. You either need an anti-depressant which will help with the obsessive thoughts, or an antipsychotic, which will help with both the thoughts and the things you are seeing. In any case, this is quite treatable.

Customer:

thanks. when i was younger now and again i'd think of something but then I was able to forget. Now I'm older it jus happened

Customer:

do i need to get a job and boyfriend (which is what I want) to keep my mind busy?

Customer:

I can't not think of stuff, it takes me hours to fall asleep because it is boring if my mind is blank which it never is

Carol Kryder LMFT :

Of course a job would be a good idea, and even a boyfriend, if you want one, but if this is the beginning of a psychotic episode, it will just get worse, and you will not be able to distract yourself from the thoughts.

Customer:

I am obsessed and I want to rely on a baby or a boyfriend to keep my mind off them but with the baby thing, thats when the thoughts started. about hurting a baby in a cruel way. I will never do it and i feel bad

Customer:

how can you tell if it is a phychotic episode. what are the signs?

Carol Kryder LMFT :

Please do not get a boyfriend or have a baby to distract yourself from these thoughts. You need proper treatment and medication.

Carol Kryder LMFT :

A psychotic episode is thoughts or voices that usually come from outside your head telling you to do terrible things.

Carol Kryder LMFT :

You may also see things that other people do not see

Customer:

no I don't see anything outside the body or hear the voices but I am obsessive

Carol Kryder LMFT :

If you are obsessive, please ask your doctor for an SSRI antidepressant. That will cure the obsessive thoughts.

Customer:

I don't tell myself to do anything.

Carol Kryder LMFT :

Then why do you work so hard to distract yourself?

Customer:

i don't try as hard, I just don't have anything to do

Customer:

its just a scene in my head I try to forget

Carol Kryder LMFT :

I still think you would benefit from talking to someone about this.

Customer:

I have trouble swallowing tablets due to fear of choking when I was a kid. Do anti depressants really have to be tablets?

Carol Kryder LMFT :

You can get some in liquid form.

Customer:

I will get help. I am impatient though. and I do want a boyfriend, so I won't be doing it to keep myself busy

Carol Kryder LMFT :

OK. Sounds like a good idea.

Carol Kryder LMFT :

Best to you

Customer:

thanks xx

Carol Kryder LMFT :

You are welcome.

Experience: APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience