Luann, Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist, 24 years experience working with children, adolescents, families and adults.

I think my mother is crazy. She is full of anxiety and takes

Customer Question

I think my mother is crazy. She is full of anxiety and takes meds. About 44 or more years ago, I know she received shock treatments. She had trouble getting along with both of my grandmas. She had trouble getting along with her sisters until recently, as one of them passed away. She was one of eight children and I believe the father was abusing them, possibly sexually. She is very jealous, controlling and when you disagree with her about anything, she becomes extremely agitated. Also, she talks about the bible and the world ending...mostly negative things. I've been told by family members that she was jealous of my relationship with my father (now deceased). I had a good relationship with him. I remember her fighting with my dad because she was jealous of his mom. Do you know what could possibly be wrong with her & am I (or my children) at risk? My older sister exhibits extreme mood swings & controlling behavior. I think she is crazy too. (Her 21 year old son has confided his struggles to me, which seem to be similar to mine)
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Luann replied 5 years ago.

Luann :

Luann :

While it is difficult to diagnose someone without seeing them and completing an assessment, it certainly sounds like your mother has some type of mental illness. If she had shock treatments it was probably to treat depression. It is likely that she has both depression and anxiety. These disorders can create symptoms of paranoia and jealousy.

Thanks Luann. Do you think I am at risk? I think my sister has the same illness.

Luann :

I encourage you to learn as much as you can about depression and mental illness in general. NAMI, national alliance on mental illness is a great resource - . They have local chapters throughout the united states.

Ok, will do. Thanks.

Expert:  Luann replied 5 years ago.

Family members of someone with a mental illness are at greater risk to develop a mental illness. But environmental factors play a big role. Don't worry too much about it, just know the warning signs and be informed. Work on leading a healthy lifestyle. Learn how to deal with stress. Knowledge and support will be very helpful to you and your family. Good luck to you!