Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience

Can 150 mg of Trazadone cause hypomania and/or akathesia.

Can 150 mg of Trazadone cause hypomania and/or akathesia. I had a drug indeced episode of hypomania and was diagnosed with akathesia from too much respiridone. I am still feeling very agitated and terrible inner restlessness. I am confused weather it could still be akathisia or some hypomania. I am on gabapentin 1200 mg per day that only takes the edge off.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer. Your question is not closed until you are satisfied. I am happy to assist you with your question.

Your symptoms are puzzling, because Trazedone (a sedating anti-depressant) should not cause either hypomania or akathesia. I am wondering if you need a mood stabilizer. Gabapentin should help with the mood, but maybe you need something else.

I would check with the doctor and see if you might do better on another type of mood stabilizer and some type of sleep aid if you are taking the Trazedone to help you sleep. You may wish to try Requip for the akathesia, also, if you haven't already.

Best to you.