TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

Hi dr I was diagnosed and treated for 2years with bipolar

Hi dr
I was diagnosed and treated for 2years with bipolar at the age of 30 just after my divorce which was quite severe, I am now turning 50 and has never been treated again. I am quite successful as an architect with my own business for nearly 20 years . I do find relationships with woman difficult in the sense that I lose interest quickly and will normally go after unavailable woman and loose interest in the available ones.. I do live alone since my divorce at the age of 32 . I cannot be with some one but have these intense feelings of loneliness and emptiness. My life is quite stable . I do find that I have difficulty with normal people watching rugby sports and common things that excite normal people
Please advise me if you think I should get help again?
My symptoms are loneliness,irritability,go to bed at 9 waking at 4 or 5 in the morning , struggling to memorize standard items like names numbers and statistics,sleep apnea,
Thank you
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

Being lonely and difficulty with being attracted to unavailable women sounds more like an issue with relationships and how you see the opposite sex rather than bipolar disorder symptoms. Irritability can be attributed to bipolar, but it also can be a symptom of many other problems. The memory issues can also be explained by many different diagnosis.

You sound like you are getting plenty of sleep so unless you feel you are still tired or feel you need more sleep after you wake, you are getting the right amount of rest. Sleep apnea can cause you to feel tired and lethargic even if you do sleep during the night. You may want to explore getting a sleep study done through your regular doctor.

I think it is a good idea that you consider getting an evaluation done just to be sure that you do not need treatment. You have gone a long time without treatment and medications and appear to be functioning very well; the personal issues regarding relationships being what you feel to be your major issue. If you do indeed have Bipolar, then you must have a very mild version or you only have a few symptoms and not enough for a full blown diagnosis. Consider asking your doctor for a referral and at least getting an evaluation to determine what is going on, if anything.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate