Luann
Luann, Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist, 24 years experience working with children, adolescents, families and adults.
50737979

depression runs in my family.. Im a very happy and optimistic guy but my biggest fea

depression runs in my family.. I'm a very happy and optimistic guy but my biggest fear is depression becoming a part of me because of my genes.. should i be worried?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Luann replied 5 years ago.

Luann :

Hello

Customer:

hi Luann!

Luann :

While it is true that you have a higher incidence of having depression due to your family history, it is not a direct correlation. Be aware of the symptoms and warning signs but please do not worry about it. Focus on creating a healthy lifestyle.

Luann :

If you start to have symptoms get help as soon as possible, the earlier the treatment the better. But again, please, just enjoy life. That is your best protection!

Customer:

Thats Awesome news.. I think worrying about it is enough to get me depressed..lol

Customer:

Im glad Ive seen it enough to know what it is and how to fight it

Luann :

I agree! Focus on eating well, getting adequate sleep, excersice. Develop a lifestyle that balances work, social, emotional and spiritual. Don't drink too much as alcohol is a depressant.

Luann :

Make a list of symptoms you should watch for, then tuck it away somewhere and when you worry about having depression, take out the list and do a quick inventory. If you have reason to worry, than do something. If not, get on with life! Good luck to you.

Customer:

Thank you..

Customer:

and im glad I dont drink..lol

Luann :

Excellent! Bye.