Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

I am a 45 year old woman and I currently take some medication

I am a 45 year old woman and I currently take some medication for depression. However, I severely lack motiviation for ANYTHING. Is this a menoapause issue or is it more a mental health issue?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

Have you talked with your doctor about this symptom? It is important that you be checked out physically before you consider this problem a mental health issue.

From what I know as a mental health therapist, you seem a bit young to be in menopause. Was your mother early with her menopause? That may tell you if you will be as well. Also, you could be experiencing perimenopause, in which your ovaries begin to slow down production of hormones. If this is the case, you will also notice other symptoms such as missed periods and possibly hot flashes.

Perimenopause can cause depression and anxiety as well as problems with memory. That is why it is important you speak to your ob/gyn or regular doctor to be sure either way.

Since you have already been diagnosed with depression, most likely this is a symptom of that diagnosis. I am not sure which depression diagnosis you were given, but lack of motivation is common in a lot of them. Consider mentioning this symptom to your prescribing doctor.

In the meanwhile, you can work on this issue yourself. Here are some steps you can try:

Start slowly- do not push yourself or keep telling yourself you must get things done. Take each chore and obligation with one step at a time. As long as you are progressing forward, it doesn't matter how long it takes.

Keep things simple- there is no need right now to clean out the closets and paint the house. Save those things for when you feel better. Do the minimum.

Keep yourself groomed- again, it's about the basics here. Set out clothes for the next day the night before. Get a shower, do a little hairstyling (get a simpler cut if it helps) then go. Don't make it complicated but do keep up with yourself. It'll help lift your mood.

Ask for help- until you can work on this issue. Ask friends and family to help. And if you can afford it, get a maid or housecleaner. You will feel better knowing the work is done while you focus on recovering.

Get out of the house and do something- everyday if possible. Even if it's just a milk run, go out and be involved. Do things you enjoy each week.

Consider talking with a therapist about how you feel. It will help you keep focused on recovery and motivate you to work on this issue. A therapist can also help you deal with medication issues. You can find one by asking your doctor for a referral, or if you attend church, your pastor can help. Or you can search on line at http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/.

Here are some books that can help you as well:

The Mindful Way through Depression: Freeing Yourself from Chronic Unhappiness by XXXXX XXXXX, XXXXX Teasdale, Zindel Segal and Jon Kabat-Zinn

Undoing Depression: What Therapy Doesn't Teach You and Medication Can't Give You by Richard O'Connor

The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Depression: A Step-by-step Program (Workbook) by William J. Knaus and Albert Ellis

You can find these on Amazon.com or your local library may have them for you.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.