Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

How long does it take for Remeron to take effect for OCD -

Customer Question

How long does it take for Remeron to take effect for OCD - been on it 8 days - started at 15 mg for 4 days, 30 mg for 4 days and last night took 45 mg. I have anxiety and insomnia - hasn't helped much for insomnia but hoping it will help with obsessiveness of not sleeping so maybe I'll forget about it and do better with sleep - anyway - should I give it a month for OCD help or is just a week enough?<br /><br />Are there any new sleep meds coming on the market or anything else new that would help with anxiety and insomnia - thank you for your help.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I believe I can be of help to you with this issue.

The Institute for Neurosciences in Italy addressed the question you ask. They looked at several drugs highly similar to Remron and found that in some patients, it can take 8-12 weeks for the drug to take effect in cases of severe OCD. However, most studies of the medication continue to adjust initial doses of patients for the first couple of weeks, suggesting that it takes roughly, an average of about two weeks to start seeing effects. This is of course, consistent with what we seen when these medications are used in clinical depression. Typical patients also experience only around a 30-40% reduction in their OCD symptoms, so the treatment isn't fully 'effective' in most patients, but takes the edge off of symptoms. Really, I would HIGHLY recommend getting into cognitive-behavioral therapy for OCD with a clinical or counseling psychologist who specializes in this area. You can obtain cognitive-behavioral self-help and self-guided treatment books on Amazon. Given your many different medication trials, I don't think that meds alone is the answer, but learning to overcome obsessive ideation and compulsive behavior is at least as effective as medication. Here is one of the better self-help books available for this, if you want to explore this option before trying formal therapy with a good psychologist.

http://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/1572249218/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1593859996&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1YPPSXWBECJ238BGGKX1

Let me pause here and solicit your feedback or comments.........