Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
13965555

I am currently taking 40mg of citalopram for what i thought

I am currently taking 40mg of citalopram for what i thought was anxiety for 2 months. After many appointments with my councilor we have came to the relisation that i have mainly depression associated with anxiety. my main symptoms are disconnected feeling, unreal feeling, tearfull, loss of interest it feels like i'm stuck in a bad hangover everything is harder to do and i'm not getting any enjoyment out of things i used to. I admit that i had a very stressfull time a year ago and was drinking to excess (binge drinking) and occassional drug use. It is mainly these symptoms that are causing me the destressed feeling as i feel "weird",not quite right. It's not really situational for me. If the weird feeling would lift i'd be a much happier person. This has been going o for a long time and i'm running out of energy. Do you reccomend maybe a different medication or combination of medication that i could discuss with my doctor. I have been reading up about cymbalta or combination of wellbutrin and citalopram. What do you think i'm getting a little desperate, it's much more than a normal anxiety/sad feeling . Your input woud be greatly appreciated.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 6 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer. Your question is not closed until you are satisfied. I am happy to assist you with your question.

I think a trial of Wellbutrin added to the citalopram would be a good idea. That way both the depression and anxiety would be addressed. Cymbalta also works for some people, but I would try the Wellbutrin first. Cymbalta has some nasty withdrawal symptoms.

You might also try Lexapro, since it does a good job of addressing both anxiety and depression.

Best to you.