Arundhati
Arundhati, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  Licensed psychotherapist, Published Wellness Author

Hello there. I am a 56 year young woman waiting for a right hip replacement operation

Customer Question

Hello there. I am a 56 year young woman waiting for a right hip replacement operation. I'm in constant pain, no insurance, on disability, have returned to school. Over the past 2 years I have developed a drinking problem and have gained 50 lbs thru inactivity. I'm in a rut and can't seem to get out of it. AA creeps me out. I really need to jump start myself. Do you suggest an alternative to AA? Maybe something more inspirational that the, "I'm a piece of shit" religious approach?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Arundhati replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for writing in to Just Answer.

I'm sorry to hear about the challenges you're faced with right now. It's good to see that you are trying to break out of your drinking problem and are seeking help to do so.

One recommendation that I can offer is using the techniques of "mindfulness" to heal your drinking problem. Mindfulness draws its core principles from Buddhism and has helped many people around the world to find calm, meet their goals and overcome their challenges. Mindfulness became especially popular in the US through the works of a Professor of Medicine John Kabat Zinn. You can get familiar with the very powerful technique of Mindfulness through this resource by John Kabat Zinn.

Here is also another helpful book that specifically teaches how to use Mindfulness Techniques to address Addictions.

I hope this was helpful. With persistent effort, commitment and dedication I have no doubt you can make significant strides in making positive changes in your life.

Please do let me know if you have additional questions/thoughts/clarifications.

Warm regards,

Arundhati
Arundhati, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience: Licensed psychotherapist, Published Wellness Author
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just ordered the mindfulness book after inspecting it on Amazon. It agrees with the World Religions class I just finished. Thank you so much. I'll check in during April.
Expert:  Arundhati replied 3 years ago.
Wonderful!

Sure. Would be happy to get be updated in April.

Warm regards,

Arundhati