Arundhati
Arundhati, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  Licensed psychotherapist, Published Wellness Author
41101243

I just finished my Bachelor Degree in Psychology was deciding

I just finished my Bachelor Degree in Psychology was deciding whether to pursue my Masters when I was told the program with my current school would not include liscensure. Could you please advise me if this is worth another 18 months of school and 17,000 in costs without liscensure? My goal was to work with children and young adults as a counsler or social worker and without a liscense there are not many oppertunities in my area. Thank you.

Thank you for your question.

If you are interested in becoming a social worker then you would need to complete an MSW (masters in social work) from an accredited university. The licensure exam is separate from the degree and as long as your university/college is an accredited one you will be able to take the licensure exam after completing your graduate studies. The licensure that social workers take within 1 yr of completing the MSW program is called LMSW and you can look up more information about the LMSW exam here.

I hope this has been helpful.

Please let me know if you have additional clarifying questions/concerns about what I wrote above.

Warm regards,

Arundhati