Arundhati, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  Licensed psychotherapist, Published Wellness Author

my step-father drinks at 11 am till most of the day is depressed

my step-father drinks at 11 am till most of the day is depressed and he flicks off into rages for anything for 10 min - 45 min for one thing and this is just ranting.
He says that hes not a alcoholic but he'd rather drink than eat can you help or give some advice
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Arundhati replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for writing in to Just Answer.

Your step-father is certainly creating an unhealthy environment at home through his drinking, fits of rage and ranting. Even if he argues that he is not alcoholic the truth is that his actions are most likely causing pain and discomfort to others in the home.

Is there anyone in the family who can encourage him to go for therapy/counseling? It is mostly likely that he is taking to drinking to cope with other issues he's struggling with in his life and therapy can help him find new adapting/coping skills.

If you currently live with your step-father I would encourage you to consider therapy for yourself so that you can learn the coping strategies you need to best handle the situation.

I hope I was able to provide some perspective.

If you had a specific question that you meant to ask in your post, or if I've missed any question/concern that you'd like me to address simply reply back and let me know.

Warm regards,