Luann
Luann, Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist, 24 years experience working with children, adolescents, families and adults.
50737979

I am suffering with problems controlling my anger and i have

I am suffering with problems controlling my anger and i have very low self esteem to the point where i lie to people to explain away my faults and im not sure how to work on fixing this
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Luann replied 5 years ago.

Luann :

Hello

Customer:

hi

Luann :

I am very impressed that you recognize your problems anger and low self-esteem. Your insight and motivation will be very helpful to making changes.

Customer:

well ive been feeling this way for about 2 years so had to recognise it at some point

Luann :

I recommend that you find an anger management group. Many social service and mental health agencies offer such groups. United Way has a resource website and phone # XXXXX find resources like this. Call 2-1-1 or go to www.211.org

Customer:

its not so much the getting angry thats the problem any more im learning about that its the afterwards when im down and i cant pull myself out of it

Luann :

You would probably benefit from individual counseling. Counseling will help give you more insight into where the anger is coming from, help you develop strategies to manage your emotions and build your self-esteem. You deserve to feel better. You are just entering adulthood and want to be at your best. The United Way website/phone # XXXXX steer you towards counseling services too.

Customer:

honestly i know thats what i need but im kind of a bit scared and id put it down to my low self esteem but im worried that people are gunna tell me its just a natural part of growing up and im being silly

Luann :

I can understand you feeling scared. It is a natural way to feel about seeing a counselor/therapist. A professional will understand this. If they do not, I recommend you stop seeing them and see someone else. Your feelings and concerns are valid and your desire to make changes should be respected.