Luann, Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist, 24 years experience working with children, adolescents, families and adults.

Our daughter who is 12 years old, has since pre school been

Our daughter who is 12 years old, has since pre school been lacking in confidence. When we attend school parents evenings we always get " Issy is a lovely girl very bright, but wish she would put her hand up more and contribute to class discussions" her teachers as are we very worried that this situation does not appear to be improving. Issy does recognise this is a problem for her but no matter what we try there is no improvement. We have spoken with her that it may be that we need to get proffesional help she does agree that this may be a solution. We do not know where to go from here. We are located north of Oxford.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Luann replied 5 years ago.

Luann :

Luann :

You sound like a very concerned parents who want to help their daughter be her best. At first I wondered if it could be more a personality issue, that she is just by nature quiet and more introverted. This could be, but as I read what you had tried, it began to sound more like anxiety. It could be that by nature she is more introverted and since our world rewards more extroverted people, she feels like she is doing something wrong or not fitting in. The pressure at school and from others to be more extroverted may be contributing to her anxiety. I think she would respond positively to counseling. In counseling she could learn skills to manage her anxiety which would boost her self confidence. I am not familiar with services in the Oxford area, so I would ask a guidance counselor or the dean of students at her school for recommendations. Your family doctor would also be a good person to ask about local resources. Good luck to you. Let me know if you have other questions.