Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

My husband has Generalized Anxiety Disorder and it is ruining our marriage. Do you have a

Customer Question

My husband has Generalized Anxiety Disorder and it is ruining our marriage. Do you have any suggestions for intense treatment? We are looking for treatment that is 1 to 2 weeks, due to having children at home. I am willing to attend treatment with him if necessary. At this point he is giving me anxiety from his anxiety disorder! We live in an area that does not seem to have the resources for us. We are willing to travel.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.

Hi! You know, to give you the best answer, I think I should ask you a few questions first that will help define the problem and the situation.

The OCD diagnosis needs to be clarified here as it is usually not treated in such a "secondary role" way as you have placed it. Does he have OCD? You wold know. Or is it that he just has some OCD "type symptoms" when the anxiety is very severe?

What do you mean that he thought he was entering a retreat? Did he not know that it was a hospital? Why would there need to be deception?

If you are seeking brief therapy for his disorder(s) because you live far from a city with psychologists and psychotherapists and have none available to you, would he consider seeing someone for the two weeks intensively and then continuing treatment by phone?

Any extra information that will help, feel free to share.

Let's go forward from the answers to these questions.

Dr. Mark