Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience

what do you do when you realize that you are insane

what do you do when you realize that you are insane?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 5 years ago.

Carol Kryder LMFT :

Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer. Your question is not closed until you are satisfied. I am happy to assist you with your question.

Carol Kryder LMFT :

Generally speaking, people who think they are insane are just suffering from anxiety or confusion. Insanity is a loss of connection with reality.

Carol Kryder LMFT :

What makes you think you are insane?

I will be as specific as I can without feeling endangered. I have thoughts of actions which I know to be improper. Not thought being improper but were I to act out the thought it would be improper, immoral or illegal. The impulse to act on these thoughts is controlled but I will behave in a fashion that reaches the outer most limit of what would be, in my mind, legal. The thoughts appear as sexual and they are compelling. An example. I have a neighbor who is in a live-in relationship which is dysfunctional. She is vulnerable and I influence her to get in a situation with me rather than stay in her own. At this point I have already confused my own reality. I am very manipulative and this "game" has it's own sick satisfaction. The consequences of my actions can be serious and yet I allow the game to continue. This is not the most serious of the situations that I play with in my mind and tangentially with my real life. I don't feel I am in complete control. The insane part lies in what seems, in my thoughts, to be reasonable but clearly not reality.

Carol Kryder LMFT :

Thanks for the clarification. It is possible if you are having impulsive thoughts of a sexual nature that Prozac is the wrong drug for you. It sounds like you may have had these thoughts before the Prozac, but they are more persistent and more immediate. Please contact your doctor and tell the doc that you may need to be tried on a different antidepressant drug, or even a mood stabilizer, such as Lamictal. I do not think it is a coincidence that this revelation and the impulses are happening now. Please check with your doctor before making any conclusions about your sanity; although having said that, I agree that you have a significant problem. It is not insanity, though. You have a problem with obsessive thoughts and compulsive behavior. Please see your doctor immediately to rule out the Prozac.

Carol Kryder LMFT :

Best to you. Let me know if you have further questions.