Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

Can you give me a real life example of conditioned suppres

Can you give me a real life example of conditioned suppression?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 3 years ago.

Hi, and thank you for requesting my help. I will be working on your answer and I'll get right back to you.

Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Conditioned suppression is usually associated with adverse stimuli, such as fear and pain. Basically, the thought here is that a previously conditioned emotion can be suppressed or reduced through an aversion conditioning process.

For example, when you were a small child the sound of ocean waves was a neutral stimulus. It gave either no response or a simple orienting response, such as turning your head to the sound. However, over time the sounds of the waves became emotionally associated with feelings of well being such as satiation, calmness and relaxation. The ocean sounds are now a conditioned stimuli resulting in the conditioned response of the emotions that were mentioned.

In aversion conditioning, those pleasant feelings which were conditioned will now be suppressed through a different type of association. For example, when you went to the beach last time, you felt calm and relaxed as you normally did in the original conditioning. However, this time while listening to the ocean waves, you were stung by a jelly fish two days in a row. The stings were directly associated to listening to the sound of the waves, a previously pleasant conditioned cycle. Now the pain becomes the conditioned aversion and the pleasant feelings are reduced. What you have experienced between the formally pleasant feelings and now the pain associated feelings is considered the suppression ratio.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate