TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

two days ago, I had a weird experience. I had just had lunch

two days ago, I had a weird experience. I had just had lunch at work and felt fine all morning until I went down the stairs to go back to work. suddenly felt very dizzy and felt like an electric charge was going through my brain. I did start to panic and had to leave work early as I kept on feeling as if I was going to pass out. Since then, I have been fine in the mornigs, although I am exhusted as I have not been sleeping well. As the day goes on, my head feels really fuzzy, like it;s stuffed with cotton wool and I am so hungry all the time.  My head also aches a little at the front and sides and is tingly. I am anaemic and have been taking iron supplements but they make me feel sick, so I don't take as many as I should but I am trying to take at least one a day. I am stressing out that the electric shock feeling is something more sinister than anxiety

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like you need to see your doctor for a full check up. Although I think it most likely is anxiety, it never hurts to be sure. And you cannot be treated for anxiety if the question remains about your physical health.

Once you have been cleared by the doctor, you should see a therapist for an evaluation. There are some possible scenarios:

One, you had an anxiety attack. The symptoms you describe sound very much like an anxiety attack. It could be a one time deal (maybe too much stress?) or the beginnings of anxiety an anxiety disorder, but either way, you need to have it checked out.

Two, you are experiencing a physical reaction to your withdrawal from alcohol and nicotine. Sometimes, because of the nature of withdrawal, you can have odd symptoms as your body becomes used to being without the drugs. Your doctor should be able to help you determine if you are experiencing this as a result of your sobriety.

Three, it could be the anemia. It may be that you need to take the supplements more often or need an increase in the dosage of the supplements.

It may very well be that you are stressed physically and are just experiencing a time of adjustment to all the changes you have made in your life. If you see your doctor then a therapist, that will give you the answers you need. In the meanwhile, try to keep yourself calm. This happened to you recently, so whatever it might be, you are catching it early so that is a good thing. Practice taking deep breaths, stretch, relax your muscles and/or do something fun to help yourself from focusing on how you feel. You will soon have the answers you need and that will make you feel more in control and better able to cope.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate