TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

My father has been under alot of stress at work and seemed

My father has been under alot of stress at work and seemed to have had some sort of climactic brekdown last night. He was crying uncontrolably, shaking rather violantly and even repeating himself. He has never displayed symptoms like this ever before, I was hoping someone could provide a profressional opinion of what he my have experienced and whether it is something that can escalate to something permanent or if it was more likely an isolated episode?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like your father experienced a temporary decompensation. Basically, he has been trying to cope with all the stress and his coping mechanisms gave out. He broke down and all the pent up emotions came out.

There is nothing wrong with what happened with your father. People sometimes lose the ability to cope and emotions become uncontrollable. This may be true particularly in men, who have a harder time expressing emotions and therefore do not let themselves have the opportunity to deal with the stress as it occurs. It builds up and they break down.

Did your father gain control again once the incident was over? If so, that is a sign that he is alright and most likely, no further intervention is needed. However, if he is still upset, particularly at the same level, he may need to see his doctor or a therapist.

If your father is interested in learning better coping mechanisms for stress, he can talk with a therapist. He can get a referral through his doctor or if he attends church, his pastor can help. He can also search for a therapist on line at

There are many techniques to reducing stress and learning to relax. He can exercise, which helps greatly to reduce stress. Also, imagery- imaging relaxing scenarios- helps. Frequently taking deep breaths is great as well. Sometimes, when people become stressed, they forget to breath. Short breaths do not provide enough oxygen and that can make you feel more tense. Also, progressive muscle relaxation can be very useful. Tensing and relaxing each muscle group of the body until all of the body is relaxed completely can help rid the body of stress and help reduce tension.

Here are some books that can help him as well:

The Relaxation & Stress Reduction Workbook (New Harbinger Self-Help Workbook) by XXXXX XXXXX, XXXXX Robbins Eshelman, Matthew McKay and Patrick Fanning

The Myth of Stress: Where Stress Really Comes From and How to Live a Happier and Healthier Life by Andrew Bernstein

Stress Free for Good: 10 Scientifically Proven Life Skills for Health and Happiness by Frederic Luskin and Ken Pelletier

I hope this helps you and your father,