Arundhati
Arundhati, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  Licensed psychotherapist, Published Wellness Author
41101243

Someone please give me an answer. Why do I look hedious to

Customer Question

Someone please give me an answer. Why do I look hedious to myself. It is so bad I shrug away. It was never like this
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Arundhati replied 3 years ago.

I'm so sorry to hear you've been feeling this way. It sounds like you are struggling with body image issues. This can happen due to a number of reasons - depression, self-esteem to name a few.

In order to best deal with this issue, it is important to understand what is leading you to feel this way. After that, those particular issues can be addressed and the associated feelings processed. If you're currently in therapy I would encourage you to bring up this issue with your therapist. If you're not in therapy you might consider that if you consistently feel this way.

Please feel free to write back your thoughts/reactions/additional questions.

Warm regards,

Arundhati
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have bipolar. Its just lately my face appears twisted / deformed. No matter how hard I look it stays that way. For some reason i believe this not to be true but the mirror and photos says otherwise
Expert:  Arundhati replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

I'm sorry to hear that you feel that your face is twisted/deformed. Have you sought a second opinion on this from friends, family - anybody other than yourself who can give you an objective answer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes and they all say I'm being silly
Expert:  Arundhati replied 3 years ago.

Can you please share a little bit more about your experience when you look in the mirror or at pictures of yourself?

Do you wholeheartedly in that moment believe that the person you are looking has a "twisted/deformed" face or is it like a part of you knows you are over criticizing yourself but still does it?

If you can tell me which way of the above two you feel I'd be better equipped to offer my thoughts/suggestions.

Warm regards,

Arundhati
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You know those pictures of the dogs / cats too close to the camera lense? And my nose and mouth part is twisted. almost like a smeared painting. Its something like that. A part of me knows this can't be true but then again seeing is believing.
Expert:  Arundhati replied 3 years ago.
Hi there,

Thank you so much for the clarification.

Though it is almost impossible to diagnose over the internet from what you describe it seems to me that what you are experiencing can be termed as a delusion of sorts; a psychotic episode. This could be due a several reasons including depression, anxiety , alcohol or drug related or in some cases certain medical reasons.

I would encourage you to consult with your psychiatrist about this or if you're not under the care of any psychiatrist you can consult with your General Physician. Some investigation into possible factors that can lead to delusions and psychotic episodes is necessary in order to reach a fair conclusion about the specific cause.

I hope this is helpful.

Please feel free to write back your thoughts/additional questions/reactions to what I wrote.

Warm regards,

Arundhati
Arundhati, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience: Licensed psychotherapist, Published Wellness Author