TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

I experienced a complete nervous breakdown in 1993. My doctor

Customer Question

I experienced a complete nervous breakdown in 1993. My doctor has been treating me for chronic depression for years, and I can sense his care for me and his ability to assist me to live a productive life. Thus, with his help, and appropriate doses of medicine, my emotional health is, while still delicate, maintained so as to cope with the challenges of modern life. My predicament is the following:

Some of my friends and especially collegues, some influencial, feel I should have "gotten over it by now," thus refusing to recognize the seriousness and longterm consequences of what happened. And at the same time, treat me as an invalid, a misfit, a problem. It is not something I can ignore any more. I have been treated unfairly as a consequence. I need to educate them while at the same time not make them feel threatened.

Thus, here are my questions:

(1) Can you refer me to documentation, papers, articles from reputable, or respected physicians in the field of the long-term effects of a complete nervous breakdown?

(2) Since for some people it is much easier to understand the appropriate way to treat a person with a physical impairment (ie blindness, deafness, various disabilities requiring a wheelchair, etc), how can I overcome the "barrier" some put up that hinders me from "moving on," avoiding being dealth with as a "lost cause?"

Appreciative regards,

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

First, I need some information so I can provide you with an answer.

When you say nervous breakdown, can you tell me what you were actually diagnosed with? The term nervous breakdown is a popular term, but it is not a clinical diagnosis, so there are no research papers or good articles I could provide you with to help you unless I know your actual problem or diagnosis.

Also, how did your co workers find out about your previous problem?

Thank you,

I received your accept. Thank you very much! However, I didn't hear back from you so I could answer your question for you.

If you are still interested in my help, please let me know.