Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

I need help. My daughter is 43 yrs old and living with me.

I need help. My daughter is 43 yrs old and living with me. She has been diagnosed with bi-polar disorder as well as borderline personality. We have a limited income and she has been seeing her internal medicine doctor for her meds. She is on lithium and adhd meds. They are not working and she is having manic attacks on a regular basis. I need help to find her someone who can regulate her medications and provide therapy. I no longer want to take care of her, but there are limited resources. She doesn't seem to be able to hold down and job and shows no ability to live on her own. Please help me. I am 69 and am worn out where can she go for help. She is on disability and I have limited income, so it is a problem. I can't do it anymore and I am at my wits end. Please help.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like your daughter would be a good candidate to work with the local community mental health center in your area. Contact them and talk with them about her situation. Most community mental health centers have therapists, psychiatrists, case managers and housing. They are most likely in the phone book, online or if you contact your local city or county government they will have the information.

The therapist and/or psychiatrist at the center can do a full evaluation of your daughter, determine her needs and assign her help. If she is assigned a case manager, they can help her find low cost housing, low cost medication and assistance in finding a job she can handle.

There is also a website you can search for additional help. It is an advocacy site for those with mental health disorders. The link is www.nami.org.

You should also contact your local Area Agency on Aging for yourself. Depending on what they offer, they can help you with services just for you including food, assistance and social contact. The mental health center or your local government will have that number as well.

If you feel you need to, you may want to consider seeing a therapist yourself to cope with the stress of caring for your daughter. Try the suggestions above to find a therapist (you can go to the community mental health center as well. It is for anyone.). The stress of caring for an ill loved one can take a toll. You the need support and assistance a therapist can provide to you.

I hope this has helped you. Please let me know if I can be of more assistance.

Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.