TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

i have boderline personality disorder. im 28 female and have

i have boderline personality disorder. im 28 female and have been in many units i live in the uk where they are now not doing inpaitent treatment. is there any hope of copeing better with this disorder? i have had EMDR therapy for my complex ptsd i was in pyscotherapy for over two years commited to the programme. also my son is now 6 and displaying some worrying traits that he hasnt learnt from me as he is cared for by my parents. please help . is there no hope if and untill i am in my 40 ?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

Yes, there is hope of getting better. I can understand your frustration with all you have tried and you do not feel better. But there is hope.

One very good point that you should keep in mind is that you are trying. You are motivated to get yourself better. And that is good. With mental health disorders, motivation is a good portion of the battle to get better.

Additionally, you have your son. Not only is he good motivation to get better, you care about him and are aware of how he is feeling. With all you are handling in your life right now, that shows you care very much about your son. And getting better for him will help you stay motivated.

You said you have tried therapy. Did you feel it helped at all? If it did not, you may need to try another therapist. Sometimes, you need to see a few therapists until you find one that you feel can help you. It's just like finding a good doctor to work with. Here is a link on how to find a good therapist:

Therapy is the preferred treatment for Borderline Personality Disorder, just like it is for PTSD. Medication can help you manage your symptoms, but it cannot get rid of the disorder. Research has shown that a therapy called Dialectical Behavior Therapy has proven to help people diagnosed with Borderline. It works like cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) in that it helps the person learn to think differently and to manage their emotions better. You can do this by learning about yourself in a deeper way and relearning how to view and communicate with the world. Dialectical therapy helps retrain the person to express themselves in better ways.

Keep in mind that Borderline personality disorder sometimes can take up to a year of therapy and hard work. Do not be discouraged by this, however. Any progress you can make will be positive and one step closer to feeling better.

There are also things you can do to help yourself progress faster. Join a support group in your area for people coping with this disorder. Sharing your experience with others and learning what they have found helpful can help a lot. Also, try some of these books:

Get Me Out of Here: My Recovery from Borderline Personality Disorder by Rachel Reiland

Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook: Practical DBT Exercises for Learning Mindfulness, Interpersonal Effectiveness, Emotion Regulation, & Distress Tolerance (New Harbinger Self-Help Workbook) by Matthew McKay, Jeffrey C. Wood and Jeffrey Brantley

You can find these on or your local library may have them available.

Don't lose hope. You will get better.

I hope this has helped you,