TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Hi, My daughter(single mother) seems to be having a hard time

Hi, My daughter(single mother) seems to be having a hard time with her 9yr old son. He doesn't listen to her and it is becoming very frustrating for her. I asked her if he is distracted by the Tv being on or that he is playing a game. She says no in fact she looks him right in the face when asking him something. Can you offer any suggestions.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi Kate, I'd like to help you with your question.

I have a couple of questions I need clarified so I can give you the best answer I can.

Has your daughter's son been evaluated? He may have an attention disorder that needs addressed. Is he having any problems with his school work? How does he behave around his friends? How long has he had this problem?

Is there anything stressful or different going on in the home, such as parental problems or a recent move?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No he has not been evaluated. Yes I believe he does have some problems with school work. It seems he is easily distracted.

And no there is nothing stressfull going on at home. I belive he has had this problem since 1st grade, but I guess his mom would know for sure how long this has been going on.

Thank you for the additional information.

It sounds like he may have ADD or ADHD. I am saying this is just a possibility, based on the symptoms you described. Difficulty with paying attention is one of the main symptoms of disorders like ADD and ADHD.

ADD/ADHD usually shows up in early childhood before age 7. The child has problems with not paying attention, trouble focusing or sitting still and impulsive behavior. Sometimes the child appears to be distracted. People often think that to have ADD/ADHD the child has to be uncontrollable and moving constantly. This is not true.

Have your daughter take her son to either his doctor or a child psychologist for a full evaluation. It is a good idea to rule out ADD/ADHD before considering other answers.

Please let me know if you have any other questions I can help you with.

I haven't heard back from you. Did you have more questions or need clarification?