TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

HELP!!! my daughter was in a car accident 6 years ago and suffered

HELP!!! my daughter was in a car accident 6 years ago and suffered 3 brain shear injuries...5 years after the accident while we think she is doing OK (but has obvious memory issues, social issues, and cannot keep a job) she meets a guy (who has a lot of dysfunctional family issues) who is now causing fights and has successfully pulled her away from her family. she is telling all kinds of lies and seems to have extreme paranoia and hatred for her family. she is now blaming all of us for her "problems". She is pregnant, they got married secretly and then covered it up for 6 weeks by acting and lying. There is too much to go into but my question is this - with having the brain injury and being so gullable and vulnerable from that - isit easy to br "brain washed"? What do we do?? I am scared f
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

Was your daughter like this before her accident? Can you describe her personality before?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No. She was a very personable, sweet and happy young woman who loved her family and we were all very close. She was a typical 20 year old trying to find her way through life. She was in the process of moving back home when the accident happened. The current state of lying, paranoia and "story telling" is wasn't any part of her life until her now-husband entered her life. She is so opposite of even the person she was even 6 months ago that if she wasn't pregnant I would think she was on drugs!

It is odd that the change was so long after her accident. Is there anyway for her to be seen by her doctor again? I know you said she is being very hostile and aggressive, and that makes it very difficult to get her to seek help. Maybe you could contact her doctor on your own and ask general questions about whether or not she could suffer symptoms this long after her accident. It is important to clarify what can be caused by her brain injury so you understand where the behavior is coming from.

She may very well be vulnerable to her husband and may not be able to determine what is the truth and what is not. From my understanding, judgment can be affect by a brain injury. Her doctor will be able to answer that better for you

If you can clarify the question with the doctor, and they can rule out a physical cause, then you have a mental health issue here. Do you think she may be willing to see a therapist? If not, then you may just have to wait it out. She is an adult and unless she does something to hurt herself or someone else (or even threaten to), she cannot be forced to seek treatment.

What you can do is be there for her. Hopefully, she will develop insight into her behavior and stop acting out. Until then, you can keep the lines of communication open and let her know you love her and want to be there for her. Keep in contact as much as you are able and as much as you feel is appropriate without crowding her. Send birthday cards, invite her to holiday gatherings, etc. You want her to see you as the first person she will turn to if she does want help.

If you can, stay aware of any possible abuse going on in her relationship. If she is being abused, you may be able to help her by offering her a safe place to go. And if you witness abuse, contact the police. Once they are involved, it may make it easier to get her out of the relationship.

I hope this has helped you,