TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Good morning, COuld you recommend a good book that would be

Customer Question

Good morning, COuld you recommend a good book that would be helpful for parents of a herion addicted 22 year old ? To date our good friends say that are not in counseling because there is nothing available...hmm how is that working for them? it isn't ! I thought maybe a good straight talking book would help kickstart the process. Their son is cururently in a court appointed rehab program through the jail.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

Yes, I can recommend several books for your friends:

Don't Let Your Kids Kill You: A Guide for Parents of Drug and Alcohol Addicted Children by Charles Rubin

My Daughter's Addiction: A Thief in the Family - Hardwired for Heroin by Marie Minnich

Reclaim Your Family From Addiction: How Couples and Families Recover Love and Meaning by Craig Nakken

Beautiful Boy: A Father's Journey Through His Son's Addiction by David Sheff

Loving The Addict, Hating The Addiction: For Christian families coping with drug addiction by Kecia C Sims - I don't know if your friends are Christians but if so, this book would help.

There is plenty of treatment available for families dealing with their child's addiction. Here is an excellent link for families dealing with drug addiction:

They may already know a lot of the information because of where there son is in the process, but you never know what else might help.

Have they tried Narcotics Anonymous yet? That is a very good place to start for support. Here is a link:

In order for their son to recover, they are going to need to face this situation and get behind their son 100% in his recovery. Otherwise, it will be a hard road for him.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or need more information.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Great info thank you. No my friends are not Christians, but just today I asked if they thought Ben would be open to a visit about that very subject - the answer was yes ! Thanks again for your recommendations !

You are welcome! That is good news about Ben! You are a good friend to them to be so supportive and helpful.

My best to you and your friends.