TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

I have a severe anxiety problem. It has completely changed

I have a severe anxiety problem. It has completely changed everything about my life. I spent 2 years getting tests for anything and everything that can involve nausea, and we thought we had an answer. But when I went to confirm it with the neurologist, he said I was fine. The anxiety has gotten so bad that I can't hardly do anything on my own. I'm on Paxil 20mg every night, and I take Propranolol as needed for anxiety. But I still have panic attacks, either where I get really nauseous and panicky, or sometime I'll start hyperventilating. I'm have therapy once a week, but I still haven't seen any improvement. I try to tell myself to calm down when I start feeling that way, but it never helps. If anything, it'll make it worse, and make me realize how little control I really have over the anxiety. I can't stand all this anxiety. It frustrates me, and makes me feel so out of control. Is there anything else I can do to help with the anxiety? I want my life back, more than anything else in the world!

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

I completely understand how you feel. But believe it or not, it is not hard to get rid of anxiety. You just need to take a few steps.

Anxiety disorders are highly curable. It sounds like you have taken some important steps to get started. But there is more that you can do to help yourself.

One, is your therapist someone you feel is helping you? The best therapy options for anxiety is cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and Integrated therapy, which is a combination of CBT and psychotherapy- digging in a little deeper to find the causes behind the anxiety. If you feel your therapist is not utilizing every way to help you, you can search for a new one. Try asking your doctor for a referral or if you attend church your pastor can help. You can also search on line at

Two, you can also help yourself at home. There are several very good programs and books that can help you. Have you tried Lucinda Bassett's Midwest Center for Anxiety and Stress? She has a good website and several very good books on anxiety. Also, I highly recommend Edmund Bourne's book The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook. He also has several other very helpful books. Claire Weekes also has several very good books on anxiety. Here are some more resources:

The 10 Best-Ever Anxiety Management Techniques: Understanding How Your Brain Makes You Anxious and What You Can Do to Change It by Margaret Wehrenberg

The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Anxiety: A Step-by-Step Program by William J. Knaus

Coping with Anxiety: 10 Simple Ways to Relieve Anxiety, Fear & Worry by Edmund J. Bourne and Lorna Garano

There are also videos you can watch on YouTube that may help. Just search under Anxiety and Phobias.

What you need to realize with your anxiety is that you are afraid of the panic attacks, not where you are or what is wrong with you physically. When you have anxiety, your body floods with adrenaline. That causes the odd symptoms and extreme fear you experience. Once the adrenaline leaves your body, you calm down. What triggers the adrenaline is your thoughts. Anytime you are afraid and signal to yourself that you are in danger, your body is going to react. If you can learn to see your body's reaction as just adrenaline surging because you thought you were in danger, the less afraid you will feel.

It takes some time, but you can retrain yourself to not react to the adrenaline and to control your thoughts so you do not continually frighten yourself and feel anxious.

I hope this has helped you,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you so much for your help! I want and need my life back! It's one of those things where I seem to do better for a couple days, then I'll have a bad anxiety attack, and it'll set me back to where I started several days or weeks before. I appreciate the deep detail in your answer, I will definitely check out the books and keep trying to get better. I do have a CBT that I meet with once a week. I feel like everything I'm doing is helping, it's just not helping enough. So hopefully some of these books will help. You don't need to reply unless you want to, just wanted to write you again. Thanks again!

You are very welcome! I have a lot of personal experience with anxiety so I understand how you feel. Keep trying. Don't give up. Anxiety is easy to beat if you keep pushing ahead. There is a lot of help out there, and once you start searching for answers, you will find them and feel much better.

Anytime I can help you, let me know. Just place my name at the beginning of your question and I will get back to you.

Take care,

Thank you very much for the bonus! I really appreciate it. That was very kind of you.