Luann, Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist, 24 years experience working with children, adolescents, families and adults.

my child is 6 years old and in Kindergarden she reads books

my child is 6 years old and in Kindergarden she reads books with two sentences on each pages and does addition. her teacher sent me this note:
Some days Emma is okay, most she is not. She wants to correct me, boss the other children, or get involved with the boys or girls in behaviors she knows she should not. She has walked laps, sat out, written sentences and spoken to you on the phone. It's like she wants constant attention all the time whether it's good or bad. When parents visit the class she hangs on them and annoys them to the point that they have asked me to speak to her. I'm very said, because her behavior is so bad that it's affecting her work. She is a very smart girl and could do better.

I'm a single mom, she sees her Dad every other weekend. I probably give her too much attention, she sleeps with me and we are big huggers and kissers. Is there a book you can recommend that will help me?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Luann replied 5 years ago.

Luann :

Luann :

You are right to be concerned about your daughter's behavior. Catching difficulties early and taking steps to make changes is very important. Your daughter is young and just starting school. You and she have a great opportunity to change for the better. While there are some excellent parenting books and workbooks out there, I really encourage you to get in a parenting class or group. Many schools offer such classes or family support centers offer such classes. The big advantage is that you can talk to other parents. You will gain so much from hearing about other parent's difficulties and the solutions that they find. You may be able to find parenting classes/groups through United Way. Call 2-1-1 or go their website, Both are information and referral sources. Here are a couple of good books -

Luann :

"Active Parenting Now: For Parents of Children Ages 5 to 12" by Michael Popkin

Luann :

"Parenting with Love and Logic" This is published by the Love and Logic Institute, check out their website -

Luann :

"The Parents Handbook: Systematic Training for Effective Parenting" by Don Dinkmeyer

Luann :

Good luck to you and your daughter.

Thank you.