Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt

My son is 34yrs old, is schzoeffective, been working for 9yrs

My son is 34yrs old, is schzoeffective, been working for 9yrs at the same place. He has gotten his 3rd DUI, will be getting at least 6mo in jail, may lose his job and is really depressed. His last DUI was .10 just over the limit. He's single, no kids. My question is: He wants to move in with me. I live in a one bdrm apt. He's lived on his own since college, he has bach degree and various assoc degrees. With his depression, do you think it's a good idea for him to move in? I worry about him so. (I don't mind sleeping on the couch) I'm single as well 55yrs old
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 5 years ago.

If he wants to move in with you and you're all right with that, he can use all of the support he can. You may encourage him to get help for his depression and drinking and doing positive things. He can sleep on the couch.

As long as you think that the move will be positive and you will not be enabling him in any way, then discuss with him some of the responsibilities he would have in your home.

Even though he is your son, he will still need to help around the home and with bills.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rossi..... I am satisfied with your answer! I just needed some reinforcement on making this decision. It saddens me to see him suffer. He does need help. Setting boundries is good advice, meaning....encouraging help and all. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 5 years ago.
The decision you're making is to help him as long as he and you know that there will be limits. You're there to support his recovery and mental health. The rest will have to come from him. He had been able to live independently and to work hence, he's capable of doing the right things. When he is more depressed he may find himself wanting to drink more. HE would have to be willing to talk to his doctor for medication. Even if he is to lose his job, he can work elsewhere as long as he's healthy and in a position to do so. Focus on those things over which he has control and reinforce those in him.